THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF MEN IS a significant PUBLIC HEALTH CONCERN.
- Men are important to the health and wellbeing of communities, and
- Men are taught to value stoicism, hard work and self-sacrifice, but
- Men are encouraged to hide their emotions.
- Men experience emotional isolation and can lack empathy, and
- Men become less resilient in the face of life’s stressors, and
- Men are more likely to translate emotional suffering into substance abuse, violence and suicide
The Men’s Initiative has identified three primary pillars of change in our pursuit of this work:
We use rigorous research methods to bring understanding to men’s struggles, and create models and methods for men to contribute more fully to a sustainable future for all.
We serve communities by conducting work with individuals and groups to help men and women connect with their integrity and take action to become a more generative force for good in their communities.
We seek to catalyze a worldwide conversation about how to be a good man and do good work in a modern world.
We apply a simple model to catalyze men on a Journey into Integrity©.
What kind of man do I want to be, and how do I want to show up for all teams of life.
Face the facts
Examine how am I showing up and how do I want to be different.
Make a play
Take action to change my behavior and way of being in the world
The good men in sport program:
Redefining what it means to be a man through sport
A four-part dialogue-based program that enables athletes and coaches, as leaders and influencers, to build a values-based narrative that aligns with their identity and creates a positive campus culture. Program developed in consultation and support from thirty thought leaders from the sports world including professional athletes, Olympic champions, coaches, agents and players’ associations together to explore how sports can be used as a lever to help men become better people.
programs delivered to:
Stanford University Men’s Soccer Team
West Point Military Academy
University of Oregon Tennis Team, Golf Team
NFL Atlanta Falcons Rookie training program, 2019
Protective services RESILIENCE and leadership PROGRAM
Protecting those who protect us
3.5 day residential, peer-based, and evidence-informed program enables Protective Service Workers, including first responders (fire and police officers), military, and front-line healthcare professionals regain or sustain their resilience and wellbeing. Participants gain knowledge and skills to enhance their personal wellbeing, which in turn improves the competence and capacity of organizations to care for each other and protect their wider communities. Program developed in consultation with unions, departments and 60 first responders to understand their lived experiences and emotional, physical and spiritual needs.
programs delivered in partnership with:
BC Police Association and the Vancouver Police Union
BC Professional Firefighters Association (BCPFFA)
Wounded Warriors Canada
Leveraging key research and program development opportunities to understand the struggles and opportunities in the lives of men in relationship to their community.
1. Military Veterans During Military to Civilian Transition literature report adopted through Canadian Institute for Military and Veteran Health Research used by Veterans Affairs Canada, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, and North American Treaty Organization.
2. We’re Still Here and We Still Matter: The Shaping Purpose Military to Civilian Transition Program Evaluation and Study used by Veteran Affairs Canada to fund and create related programs
3. Living with Prostate Cancer, a group therapy program for men at the Vancouver Prostate Centre
4. After The Game – Understanding The Experience of Athletes in Transition study developed for NHL Alumni Association to support professional hockey player retirement transition
5. Positively influenced corporate culture through a dialogue-based program developed for Heineken Mexico that raised awareness about workplace inclusion, diversity, and empathy
6. Advisory work with Tecate, a leading beverage brand in Mexico in their award-winning efforts to address violence against women though video advertising
Join the Men’s Initiative
Connect with an influential group of representatives in an effort to create an equitable, compassionate world.